BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, March 20, 2017

Dare to Stand Alone

Dare to be a Mormon;

Dare to stand alone.

Dare to have a purpose firm;

Dare to make it known.

Courage comes in many forms. Wrote the Christian author Charles Swindoll: "Courage is not limited to the battlefield…or bravely catching a thief in your house. The real tests of courage are much quieter."
"They are inner tests, like remaining faithful when no one is looking,…like standing alone when you are misunderstood; I would add that this inner courage also includes doing the right thing even though we may be afraid, defending our beliefs at the risk of being ridiculed, and maintaining those beliefs even when threatened with a loss of friends or of social status. He who stands steadfastly for that which is right must risk becoming at times disapproved and unpopular."

- President Thomas S. Monson

Have you ever had an experience where you had to stand up for something and you stood alone?

Recently I have experienced this very thing. I was surrounded by a group of people who felt one way
and I was the only person in the room who felt differently. In order to be true to myself and my beliefs I had to tell the others that I disagreed with them and why. I remember before I shared my opinion I said a quick prayer to my Heavenly Father. I asked for help from my ancestors and any angels who could help me have the courage I needed to have to stand alone and to help me express my opinion in a pleasing way. I was able to stand up for my beliefs but things were not easy for me. After I shared my position I was treated poorly from some of those who disagreed with me. I was ignored and isolated and made to feel very alone. This lasted for over a year. I finally had to gather more courage to confront the individuals who were treating me bad. Things have gotten better since then, but I
understand how alone we can sometimes feel when we choose to stand up for our beliefs. In pondering about courage to stand up for our beliefs, I think of Captain Moroni and his Title of Liberty. Moroni had the courage to stand up and defend the truth during war, when the entire Nephite nation was under attack and his own life was being threatened. The book of Alma states that if all were like Moroni, the very powers of hell would be shaken forever and the devil would have no power over the hearts of the children of men. Let us strive to be courageous like Moroni to stand up for truth, defend the gospel and win the war against evil.

- Love, Sister Landers

No comments:

Post a Comment